Birds of Tokyo’s interpretation of ‘Talking To A Stranger’ is the first single to be lifted from Crucible – The Songs Of Hunters & Collectors tribute album.
Talking To A Stranger remains one of the most instantly recognizable songs released by Hunters & Collectors when it pre-empted the release of the band’s debut self-titled album way back in 1982.
You can get the single now on iTunes HERE.
“When making your own records you can’t help but have some awareness of ‘who’ you are, so one way or another you’re working with that space in mind. However, this was a totally different exercise. We had a starting point that was a long way outside anything we’d normally attempt and that pushed us to reach for things that we wouldn’t normally attempt. Of course, we ended up dragging the song into our own new world in terms of textures and tones but the jagged rawness of the original is still lurking underneath in a way that’s hopefully true to the song’s spirit. Thanks to Mark Seymour for helping us with translations and we hope he and the band can forgive us for taking their song off to this other place! This was a first for us and was really refreshing.”– Birds Of Tokyo
CRUCIBLE – THE SONGS OF HUNTERS & COLLECTORS
Released FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 27 on Liberation Music
1. Birds of Tokyo – Talking to a Stranger
2. Eddie Vedder & Neil Finn – Throw Your Arms Around Me
3. Matt Corby & Missy Higgins – This Morning
4. Oh Mercy – The Slab (Betty’s Worry)
5. Alpine – Hear No Evil
6. The Living End – Say Goodbye
7. Paul Kelly & Emma Donovan (featuring Jimblah) – True Tears of Joy
8. The Rubens – Holy Grail
9. Husky – Blind Eye
10. Something For Kate – When the River Runs Dry
11. The Panics – Alligator Engine
12. Abbe May – Dog
13. British India – Do You See What I See?
14. Cloud Control – Still Hanging ‘Round
15. The Avalanches – Stalking to a Stranger (Planets Collide Remix)
CRUCIBLE – THE SONGS OF HUNTERS & COLLECTORS Pre-order also available from:
iTunes – http://bit.ly/1cLG4HB